Again this year the Diocesan changes involve our own Parish.
Fr. Jimmy O’ Reilly has been recalled by his Missionary Society, St. Patrick’s Kiltegan. He will be replaced by Fr. Paddy Byrne, currently C.C., Bagnalstown.
Three Priests who served in Portlaoise in recent times are also involved in the current changes – Fr. Thomas O’ Byrne, Fr. Padraig Shelley and Fr. Joe O’Neill. We wish them all the best in their new appointments. The appointments take effect from September 1st.
The full list of appointments, announced by Msgr. Brendan Byrne, Diocesan Administrator, is as follows:
- Monsignor Brendan Byrne PP, Tullow & Diocesan Administrator to retire as PP, Tullow and continue on as Diocesan Administrator
- V. Rev. Joseph Fleming Adm, Clonegal to be CC, Clonegal
- V. Rev. Francis McNamara PP, Mountmellick to be CC, Mountmellick
- V. Rev. Philip O’ Shea PP, Myshall retiring
- V. Rev. Míchéal Murphy, former Rector Knockbeg College to be PP Mountmellick
- Rev. Andy Leahy CC, Tullow to be PP, Tullow
- Rev. Thomas O’ Byrne CC, Emo & Portarlington to be PP, Myshall & Clonegal
- Rev. John Brickley CC, Naas, Sallins & Two Mile House to be PP, Naas, Sallins & Two Mile House
- Rev. Brian Kavanagh CC, Allen to be CC, Graiguecullen & Arles
- Rev. Padraig Shelley, formerly CC, Carlow to be CC, Tullow
- Rev. Joseph O’ Neill formerly CC Portlaoise to be CC, Bagnalstown
- Rev. Paddy Byrne CC, Bagenalstown to be CC, Portlaoise
- Rev. Edward Kavanagh CC, Mountmellick to be CC, Allen
- Rev. PJ Madden CC, Graiguecullen & Arles to be CC, Naas
- Rev. Pat Hughes CC, Newbridge to be CC, Emo & Portarlington
- Rev. James O’Reilly SPS CC, Portlaoise recalled to St. Patrick’s Missionary Society, Kiltegan
Fr. Paddy Byrne, currently C.C. Bagenalstown, will join us from 1st September. He is a native of Carlow town. For the past few years he has had a weekly article ‘blog’ published in the Carlow Nationalist. The Laois edition will also carry this article beginning in the near future. Fr. Paddy is also a regular ‘twitterer’ or should that be ‘tweeter’! You will find him @frpaddybyrne on twitter. We look forward to his ministry among us. The two Fr. Byrnes will cause a bit of confusion but as the P.P. says they will probably now refer to ‘the young Fr. Byrne’ and the ‘younger Fr. Byrne’!! Hardly!