Date of Church: 1836
Building Pastor: Fr. Nicholas O’Connor P.P
The Heath (An Fraoch Mor, The Big Heath. Moy Reta, or the Plain of Riata, was the name of an extensive plain in the county of Leix.)
An Earlier Church stood on the Ballydavis side of The Heath. The present large building is rectangular and constructed from cut stone. The front has three entrance doors over which are three gothic windows. Above the central window is a stone in memory of the church’s builder Fr. Nicholas O’Connor.
The Tabernacle and a large silver Crucifix came from the old S.S. Peter & Paul Church at Portlaoise.
The side windows were installed in the 1940’s. The Baptismal Font is in memory of Fr. Joseph Farrell, a noted preacher, who served as curate in Maryborough (1871-1878).