The month of June, is a wonderful time of year. Long bright days that awaken within us all a sense of peace and calm. Traditionally during summer time those who are fortunate enough can enjoy a restful holiday. Time out, is a very important gift that we must embrace in our adult lives. We are not robots and often the constant demands of life can cause stress and physical consequences. To gift oneself a good rest is a very important blessing. There are many different ways to find recreation. Summer is it time to renew and give rest to our bodies and mind. Sometimes it’s good to hit the pause button. The following reflection might inject calm and inspiration in our lives….
The young woman walked confidently around the room holding a glass of water while leading a seminar on stress management. Everyone guessed she was going to ask the ultimate question, ‘Half empty or half full?’ She fooled them all. “How heavy is this glass of water?” she inquired with a smile. Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz. She replied, “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you’ll have to call an ambulance. In each case it’s the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.” She continued, “And that’s the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won’t be able to carry on.”
As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we’re refreshed, we can carry on with the burden – holding stress longer and better each time practiced. So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don’t carry them through the evening and into the night. Pick them up again tomorrow if you must.
1. Accept the fact that some days you’re the pigeon, and some days you’re the statue!
2. Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
3. Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
4. Drive carefully… It’s not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker.
5. If you can’t be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
6. If you lend someone €20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
7. It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
8. Never buy a car you can’t push.
9. Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won’t have a leg to stand on.
10. Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just dance!
11. Since it’s the early worm that gets eaten by the bird – sleep late.
12. The second mouse gets the cheese.
13. When everything’s coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane.
14. Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
15. Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
16. We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box.
17. A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
18. Save the earth….. It’s the only planet with chocolate!
I love this Summer Prayer
“Come Summer With Me”
Come summer with me, Lord;
Summer deep down in my soul;
Restore my faith in summer’s time,
In rest, in joy, in play, in you…
Summer in my heart, Lord,
And dwell there as if time would never end,
As if all time were children’s time, eternal time,
When school is always out and joy is ever in.
And let others summer in my shade, Lord,
And share whatever summer’s peace is mine to give,
Whatever summer’s light is mine to shed,
Whatever summer’s warmth is mine to share.
Good God of every season and every day this week,
Come summer with me, Lord, and let the child in my heart
spend this summer in your love. Amen.